Travis Chell, Director of Athletic Communications
BRISTOL – The King University baseball team won their second straight Conference Carolinas series, splitting a doubleheader with Barton College on Saturday. The Bulldogs used four runs in the final two innings to take game one 4-2 before the Tornado offense came back for a 10-3 win in the nightcap.
FINAL SCORE: Barton 4, King 2; King 10, Barton 3
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 12-6, 5-1 Conference Carolinas; Barton 9-10, 1-5 Conference Carolinas
- Junior Renwick led King with four hits on the day, including two doubles. He also drove in three.
- Hunter Barbour drove in three runs on two hits, including a home run in game two.
- Brayden Cooney posted three hits and drove in two in the nightcap.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Tornado had a pair of runners in the first, but Barton stranded them on base to keep the game scoreless.
- King broke through in the third when Renwick ripped a double that scored Barger who started the inning with a double.
- Austin Meyerfollowed with single to score Renwick and give King a 2-0 lead after three innings.
- On the mound, Trevor Beardsescaped a jam in the fourth for the Tornado, leaving Barton baserunners on second and third.
- However, Beards couldn’t get out of the sixth inning unscathed as the Bulldogs played a pair of runs. The first on a pair of doubles before an Ethan Davis single evened the score at two.
- The Barton leadoff batter reached base on a hit by pitch in the seventh.
- The Bulldogs then dropped down a sacrifice bunt, but the throw went down the right field line, allowing Zach Long to score.
- Barton then added another run on another miscue from the Tornado to take a 4-2 lead.
- King had runners on the corners with one out in the bottom of the inning, but couldn’t push any runs across as Barton took the game 4-2.
Winning Pitcher: Alex Hart (1-3) 6.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 7 SO
Losing Pitcher: Trevor Beards (2-2) 6.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 7 SO
Save: Colby Warren (3) 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Cooney gave King a 2-0 lead with a single that scored Renwick and Jarret Backus.
- Austin Meyerlater scored on a double steal, giving King a 3-0 lead after the first inning.
- Barbour stretched the Tornado lead to 6-0 with a three-run home run to right field in the third inning.
- King again scored three runs in the fifth inning, two on a Renwick single through the left side, giving King a 9-0 lead.
- Barton got on the board in the sixth, but the Tornado got the run back in the bottom of the inning to take a 10-1 advantage.
- The Bulldogs added two runs in the eighth, but that was it as the Tornado took the contest 10-3.
Winning Pitcher: Braden White (5-0) 6.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO
Losing Pitcher: Colby Shimmel (1-3) 0.1 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Brayden Olson led Barton with four hits on the day.
- Davis and Warren each drove in two with Davis having three hits.
- King travels to take on Mars Hill University on Tuesday. First pitch is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. in Mars Hill, N.C.
- Barton travels to UNC Pembroke on Wednesday.